14 February 2008

Choosing the Right

Just the other day Joe came home telling me that some kids are mean. He is having a hard time because he switches busses to get home, and everyone on the 2nd bus is already sitting with someone and he feels left out. Well, there is this 5th grader he sits with pretty regularly on his first bus home, and he asked Joseph to say something mean to a girl named Kelsey. Joe chose the right, and didn't say it. WOAH! Joseph a kindergartner had the gumption to stand up to a 5th grader! I was so proud of him that we turned it into our FHE, and we all praised him a gazillion times for making a good choice, and proving that he can indeed do it sometimes even when it's hard like when he stood up to the 5th grader.

He is feeling out of place most of the time lately. He is in the diagnostic K-2 class (13 kids, 1 teacher & 2 aids) with other children who have more obvious disabilities in their speech, motor skills, and other diagnoses. He is, for the first time, noticing that he is not like them, he is abled much more than dis-abled. Now, for the tricky part.

I meet with his teachers, therapists and principals, this spring, to determine the best placement for him this fall. I wish I could feel totally comfortable with him heading straight into a typical classroom with 28 or so kids and 1 stressed out teacher. For now, that doesn't sound like a good fit for him (does it sound like a good fit for any 1st grader?). He seems finished with a separated special-ed class. I think that for him to have an aid in the classroom who understands Joseph specifically, but would also help out the teacher, and all of the other children, would be perfect. The law, (IEP, and 504 plan) allows for Joe to have such priveleges, however these mandates are not funded. The principal will now begin to tell me her hands are tied and that they just can't provide such extravagances because there isn't enough money. I'm just going to have to stand up to my personal 5th grader and show Joseph that I too can be strong and choose the right for him. Maybe we'll soon have a FHE about how mom chose the right, and I'll get a gazillion praises for my efforts. Wish me luck.

p.s. my spell check won't work anymore, so you'll just have to deal with my inability to spell correctly for the rest of my blogging career (unless someone can fix my spell check button).

5 comments:

Liz and Dave said...

my spell check button doesn't work either. Drives me crazy! So, there for I can't help either on the spell check. Guess we will have to do our best...

Unknown said...

Good for you Sherrie. I taught children with disabilities in an elementary school for 3 years before I had Addie. I had usually around 12 students and 2 aides. Most of my students had occupational therapy, speech, adaptive PE and some had physical therapy. They were grades 1-6. I was so happy when we were able to transition 2 specific students to regular gen ed classrooms with a couple of hours (or less) of resource support. Don't feel pressured in the IEP meeting to just do what they are suggesting. You have the right to stand up for the needs of your son. I know you will be his biggest advocate. Hopefully everyone will be searching for a way to meet his needs in the least restrictive environment and you won't feel like you are going to battle. You also don't have to decide everything in one meeting either. You could also ask to observe some general ed classrooms and talk about specific teacher placement if that is what you choose to do. And you can ask to revisit the IEP earlier then a year from when you do it this Spring. You might want to meet again in the Fall. I am making this response way too long. I have been out of the loop for 3 years now but I am a certified special ed teacher for children with severe disabilities in the state of Utah grades k-12 and I got my masters in special ed so I feel strongly to say the least about educating all children. The law is on your side for your protection and most administrators want to work with you when you are reasonable and not confrontational. I am sure you are already very familiar with this whole process but I just sat there reading your post and the teacher in me had to write back and say good job for being your son's advocate. He is lucky to have you and I know you'll find an appropriate setting for him to be able to access the curriculum and if the first option you try isn't working well that you can push for changes.

Good luck!

Marenda

Sherrie said...

Thanks Marenda, I'll call you if things don't go the way Joe needs them to.

Elise said...

Good luck Sherrie! Joe is so lucky that he has a strong mother who is willing to stand up for him. You'll do the right thing, and I'm already sending a gazillion praises your way! Love you!! :)

Staffords said...

Sherrie
I am all too familiar with IEP's and MDT's and therapy and budgets and beuracratic red tape. We have been lucky so far that we have been happy with where Aspen has been. She has had some wonderful teachers and luckily some very accepting classmates. We moved here for Daren to go to school but it was just as beneficial if not more so for Aspen. She has received wonderful medical care and is starting to really thrive at school. We have seen more improvement this year by far. I am nervous what the future holds seeing as that she is only in the 2nd grade. I find the best thing to do is pray for strength, comfort and guidance.