07 April 2008

There's a reason

I've been gaining a ton of weight while I monitor my calories, journal my food, and calculate my meals. I have hypothyroidism.

Often mistaken for depression, an under active thyroid causes lethargy (darn these stairs), confusion (no wonder), constipation (fun!), and weight gain (I'm currently heavier than the day I birthed Jennie). I now wonder if I've had it before because I've never been tested (to my knowledge). I've had all of these symptoms after each of my children. Aren't bodies crazy!

My doc was great, and gave me a prescription, that I'll likely have to take all of my life. But wait! Andy said that if I use nutrition to boost my sluggish gland, maybe it'll start working all on its own. I think that's the method I'll try first. I figure a 6 week trial of the herbal stuff should give me the information I need. I'll have my doc check my blood again, and if it works, then we're set, and if it doesn't well then I'll do the drugs.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

My aunt experienced that with all of her pregnancies. But after a few months or so, it starts to regulate itself again. Good luck!

***LIZ*** said...

I have this same problem. My hair even started to fall out, and I had to force myself to get out of bed each morning. The medicine was a lifesaver and mine never went back to normal(almost two years now), still take my drugs, thank goodness for modern medicine.

Amateur Steph said...

Sherrie
That's a bummer.
Good luck with the natural kick start, and if not, then like Liz said, thank goodness for medicine.

Kathy said...

I was diagnosed with this when we were trying to have Timothy (apparently, it can mess with your ability to get pregnant). I've been on the medication ever since and of all the "lifetime treatment" things I've heard of, this one certainly seems to be one of the easiest to deal with!