24 April 2008

beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep

So I've been on the thyroid meds for 10 days now, and I feel like I'm on speed. The only good thing is that I sleep just fine, actually I crash hard from doing so much during the day... I'm like the freakin' energizer bunny.

Except for last night. Jennie peeped at 3 a.m., and because I had a full bladder, it woke me. She was fine and slept in till 6, but after my trip to the loo, I laid down and could hear a beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep. I pulled the decorative pillow over one ear and pressed the other ear into my bottom pillow, but could still hear the beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep. After struggling to breathe for awhile and deciding that the pillow didn't filter enough of the noise out of my ear anyway, I decided to press my arm, suction-cup style onto my exposed ear thus creating enough pressure on the bottom ear to muffle the sound. Ahhhh the noise was gone, and I dozed, at least till my arm fell asleep, and I was again awake and annoyed by the beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep and my tingling shoulder.

It was 4 a.m. by this time, and I needed some good sleep to carry on like the bunny I knew I would be in the morning. I got up and tried to figure out where the insistent beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep was coming from. The north window upstairs, not the south door, the north window downstairs, not the basement... yep the noise was outside on the north side.

Not properly dressed for an outdoor adventure, I then called our 24 hour University campus police. They were awake, bored, and after a few clarifying questions (does it sound like a car alarm? do you see a van or large vehicle backing up? how long has it been going on?...) were ready to take on my beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep. I actually think they liked, my treating them like detectives, and my absolute faith that they would solve my beep, beep, beep... beep, beep, beep mystery. I was happy to pass this challenge onto more able, and at least more fully dressed hands. I fell asleep.

I woke to some pretty loud rummaging through what could only be the dumpster just north of our house, some laughter, and some more rummaging, and then a phone call. The police operator said that they had found a box of 25 discarded smoke alarms, alarming only because their batteries were running low. They de-batteried them for me, and we all slept. Heroes were proud, and the mystery solved.



Even with an interrupted night, I'm still going and going and going...

5 comments:

Tammie said...

That is probably one of the funniest stories I have heard lately! I am glad that they were great detectives, But poor whoever it was who had to rummage through the dumpster!

The Karrens said...

Sherrie... this is so funny! One time we had our parents staying the night with us and they woke us up because they kept hearing a beep. I was totally annoyed because I like my sleep. And I'm totally jealous of all your energy.

***LIZ*** said...

Too funny! I hate things that go beep in the night!

Trish said...

This could only happen to you! I'm so glad you shared!

Liz and Dave said...

That is pretty funny. At least you got down to the noice and found where it was coming from.