04 June 2008

New Toy


So I've figured out and typed up a daily and weekly plan for each summer day. It's pretty loose, but has the structure we will all need in order to have anything to show for these next 2 1/2 months. Simply put, we wake, eat, clean, learn, and then play each day, in that order, no matter what.

I then did a detailed list of jobs that each of the kids are capable of doing without supervision. Dalt can do 17 jobs, Joseph can do 15 jobs, and Sophia is capable of doing 6. They're not in charge of doing them all each day, we're just looking at a list of possibilities when one of them says, "But I can't do anything else, mom." Oh, yes you can.

One of our biggest jobs is floors. With dark carpet, every single crumb jumps out to scream, "your carpet is not clean, na, na, na, na-na." I hate it, and have just pretty much given up floors entirely because of it. I do get to the floors about once a week, but I don't get to all of them once a week, so the upstairs, and basement look pretty neglected by the time the vacuum makes the up or down stair trek. Sad.

So in an effort to have all 3 of the kids help with the job that only Dalt, Doug and I have handled over the years, I bought a dirt devil. It's just what you think, small, chargeable, easy to use, and kid friendly. I'm hoping it'll keep Jennie's under-the-high-chair scraps at bay. So far, Joseph likes this new toy, and that's a good thing.

2 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

The dustbuster is a great idea! You don't want to share your chore lists, do you? I am really needing to do something like that with my kids, and between trying to buy the new home, swim lessons, travel plans, etc., it hasn't happened yet. Maybe you can give me some inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Don't you want a dog, just to clean crumbs off the floor. That is seriously half my motivation to get a dog. It never ends...