15 June 2008

My Papa

I have the best dad in the whole wide world.

You know the color code personality test, the one where white = quiet, passive, red = strong, opinionated, blue = friendly, lovey, and yellow = fun, fun. Well, my dad is something like ALL yellow, and probably some blue. Every fun childhood memory of mine comes from him, and the fun in me as a grown woman is all from him too.

I remember in the super cold Vernal winters, my dad owned a huge snow shoveling truck. He would shovel parking lots all night long, and then come home and shovel all of the snow from our block into our yard to make the biggest and best sledding hill for my brother and I. I knew even then that he must have been tired from working the night, but he still took the time to make some fun for us.

My childhood bus stop was right by our house, and kids would come early just so they could have Jack's pancakes before school. I don't remember if their parents knew that they did this, or if he knew to expect them, but he always had plenty, and we had the cool house.

On random days during High School, Papa would show up in the middle of class to take me out to lunch. I never knew when it was going to happen, so my friends weren't sure if something was wrong, but when I'd return for my afternoon classes with a full belly and a smile, my friends were so jealous.

Every year I can remember, and even since I've left home, my papa has given me one of those small heart shaped boxes of chocolate for "Valentimes" Day. He even sent one to me while I was in Jerusalem, and the postage on that little box was probably 10 times what he paid for the chocolates. I knew that my mom always got one of the HUGE boxes, and flowers, and to go out to dinner, but somehow he managed to make me feel like his "valentime" every single year.

His fun has been passed down to the next generation too. My kids all know that when he comes, he'll have a treat, (he even gets extra airline goodies just for them). He's always willing and ready to head up to the park, and takes them for walks every afternoon.

He's invited all of the boys on a fishing trip this week. Doug, Dalton and Joseph will be heading down, (10+ hour drive) to bond, fish and of course have a blast with my brothers, nephews, and my Papa. I am so happy that my kids childhood is filled with their Grandpa's love, and fun. My sister and I are both crazy jealous!

I've edited out about a hundred fabulous stories and can tell that I'll have to write some more another time. For now, I'm pretty sure that everyone has wished on one occasion or another that my dad was theirs. He is the funnest, and the best! Happy Fathers Day Papa, I love you!

1 comment:

m and m said...

Sherrie, your dad sounds awesome! What a great way to grow up and what a blessing to your children. (My darling nieces and nephews!) I've taken that color code test too. I'm split Red/Blue. Bob is split White/Yellow. Bob's mom, all yellow, like your dad. Try to figure that out and all living under the same roof!?! yikes! (It's called "family".)