10 May 2008

Mothers Matter

"Every little girl knows that Mothers matter." ~Jane Clayson Johnson

My Great Grandma, Annie mothered 3 daughters. She taught them to be strong and independent, all the while embodying the nurturing mother role to perfection. You couldn't walk into her home without being offered her love food, and feeling loved. Grandma Lucero's oldest daughter is my Grandma Martha she knew that her mother mattered.

Grandma Martha was a single mom for the first 10 years of my moms life in an era of very little support, and even less understanding. She worked hard, and did her best to provide for my mother. She carried on her mothers legacy of strength and independence. Grandma Martha's oldest daughter is my mother Shirley she knew that her mother mattered.

My mother Shirley had 4 children by the time she was 22 years old, and two more before she was finished! She raised us in an era where expectations were high, in the home, at school, and in the work place. Understanding was at an all time low. She knew that in this changing world, her children didn't have a chance without some type of support. She sought out and quickly embraced the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She has passed down the same legacy of strength and independence of her mother and grandmother, but has added the ever more valuable life of Christ to our legacy. I am my mothers fifth child and second daughter, I know that my mother matters.

I am now mothering my four children. I am doing my best like my mother and grandmothers before me. I am working hard to pass on the same legacy of strength, independence and, I love that my own mother, added Christ. I hope and pray that my children will appreciate the legacy that has been passed from the mothers in our heritage. In my experience it is obvious that from birth we all know that mothers matter. I matter. I am a mother.

4 comments:

Amateur Steph said...

Hooray! What a nice tribute to mothers. Keep up the good mom-ing. :)

Trish said...

Beautifully said, Sherrie. You are right. We matter, and therefore what we do matters. :)

Jenny M said...

Thank you for those beautiful words! Well-said.

And I think you are an amazing mother.

The Karrens said...

I love this Sherrie! Being a mother can so many times seem to overwhelming and hard, but the it is by far the most rewarding thing I will ever do. Thank you for the awesome reminder of just always doing our best.