27 May 2008

Jolly Roger Pinata

Joe's first job was to shred the newspaper. I'm pretty sure this was his favorite job.


I made the paper mache paste from scratch, and I ended up using a ton and making another batch. Fun stuff really.


Joe blew up a balloon, and we started the strip by strip plastering. Dalt helped with this part, and really enjoyed his sticky fingered self.


I engineered bones out of ka-bob skewers and tape. Pretty fancy I know.


Once the bones were bodied with some more newspaper, I could start to see the finished product.


I used the leftover paste to make some finger paints for Sophia, a huge hit by the way.


Joe and I decided what our Jolly Roger should actually look like, and started in on the crepe paper embellishing. We got help from tons of neighbor kids, or pretty much anyone who wanted to help, this step took the longest.


Finally finished! I think this project took well over 10 hours and is totally worth buying at the store, whatever the price.

I'm still glad we did it though, we had a ton of fun working together. I hope he'll always remember that he helped with every step even when he's bashing it in on Saturday at his pirate/treasure hunter themed birthday party. Yeah, maybe.

4 comments:

Amateur Steph said...

I am so impressed! You are Supermom! That must have taken some real patience. Good job! It looks awesome.

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Way to go! It looks great! Trenton wants a pirate-themed birthday next year. You wouldn't recommend making the pinata?

Sherrie said...

If the pinata making is about spending time with Trenton, working together, and making a memory, do it. If you're doing it to save a buck, well then, nope. And if you do end up making one, be sure to do it at least a week in advance, each layer of mache had to dry overnight.

Hilary said...

What in the world inspired you to do such a thing!? HI SHERRIE! It's me, Hilary! I found your card in my address book the other day. I think you gave it to me at my wedding or something.

I love your blog! It's so amusing! Keep in touch!