04 May 2008

Happy Anniversary

If it were up to me, Dalton would marry Lindsay, or Addie, or Valen. Joe can marry Bryn or Chloe. Soph can marry Mark or Van. Jennie can marry Avery or Austin. Yep, if it were up to me I would be happy to choose for my kids.

It's not up to me.

My friend Cassy has this perfect saying up on her wall, (she might have taken in down, seeing that they're moving soon, but it used to be there, I swear.)

"Choose your love,
Love your choice"

She has it surrounded by wedding and other family photos, and it's just lovely. She got it from one of her husbands relatives (I can't remember if it was mother-in-law or aunt or sister...) as a wedding gift. I think it's such a great hint of a gift. Hint: I love my son/daughter, and I hope you love them as much or more and make it for eternity while you're at it.

I chose Doug. I love Doug.

My mom would have chosen Doug for me, so that's good. Papa on the other hand would have given me away to any old shmoe... he was a little too eager to see off his 21 year old "old maid". My mom likes, no, LOVES every one of her children-in-law. Papa would have loved anyone (remember when he tried to hook me up with Brad Funk? Bleh. No offense, he just wasn't for me.)

Life has brought challenges, and from what I've noticed in other peoples lives, the challenges don't slow down. So much of what makes life rich lies in our choices. Even when things have been rough, we have both chosen to see the green grass on our own side. Marriage isn't a fairy tale, mine at least has been more like an action adventure/tragedy/romance/comedy... maybe that is a fairy tale actually, a good one has little bit of everything. Right?

My parents have the happiest ending of all, and it's not even the end for them. It's only the beginning really, all six Nelsons have continued in the "righteous traditions of our fathers". We all attend church regularly, and are all temple worthy. Because of my moms scarcity mentality, they are set financially too, or at least that's in the works. They really have it all.

My Mama and Papa are celebrating another anniversary tomorrow (is it really 46 years?), and I'm grateful that they have shown me the value in choosing their love, and the sweetness involved in loving their choice. I love you mom and dad. Happy Anniversary!

4 comments:

Liz and Dave said...

That is very Sweet Sherrie. I love every bit you have put in that post. Your awesome!

***LIZ*** said...

What a sweet post! I love that quote too! Love is a choice!

Super Nelsons said...

Thank you for such a lovely tribute!

We really missed your family this weekend, but Abby's red hair is a great reminder of you and Abby and Abraham remind us of Dalton (3 Y2K babies), and the rest of the clan.

We love you and your FABULOUS family!

Mama (AKA Abuella) & Papa

Tiffany said...

That was very inspiring and true. I read a novel awhile back and there was a subplot love triangle. I was very disapointed when she chose the guy that it was the easiest (instead of the father of her child whom she had been with for 8+ years.) I realized then that it isn't a good love story for me if the people involved aren't willing to fight for love. That is what it is really all about- the commitment of love. Your parents obviously have it and they passed that value on to you!