25 May 2010

My Olive Wood Nativity

I bought this nativity in Jerusalem in 1997. I didn't know anyone with a "Willowtree" nativity at that time and I thought that the faceless one left more for me to feel rather than for me to think, "That's not what he looks like, is it?" I love it, and it's up all year long. The same little darling that did these, defaced my olive wood memory keepsake.

Notice the smile she put on Mary's face, and the closed eyes and smile on baby Jesus. Does it make you think, "That's not what they look like, is it?" Maybe they did.

Gratefully, an eraser and some olive oil restored it's beauty, and I can still patiently love my little girl:)

4 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

What in the world did we do before magic erasers? Thank goodness it wasn't permanently defaced/faced. It's also a good thing when you love your kids more then "stuff" no matter how amazing the stuff is. You're a great Mom.

Liz and Dave said...

I so love to hear what your girls have in store for you... They sure do crack me up in what they do. I love reading your blog and watching your family grow.

Arizona Dunbars said...

You are patient. I would have filped out I hate to say. I need to learn the lesson that things are not the important things. It is a constant lesson (that my kids continue to teach me)

kam said...

Oh Sherrie, I am never disappointed when I visit your blog ;). There's always a surprise waiting. You know, it's really is a shame you don't live closer. I am absolutely positive our girls would get along famously. As for the beautiful nativity, art on the wrong canvas is still art. Someday, when her artwork is known around the world, this story will be famous. Until then, hang in there.... :)