18 September 2008

My Grammy

Grammy died today. She's been sick for quite awhile, and the Alzheimer's had really taken over the past 8 or so years of her life. Today's news is a happy reunion for she and my Grandpa.



I'd like to think that I get my love of celebrations, positive attitude, little boobs, and thick hair from her. I undoubtedly got my stubbornness and high expectations from her as well.

Elizabeth Ann Head Nelson (she went by Betty) came from less than nothing, (with her mother having to board her out because they didn't have a home) but they always had each other. She married my Grandpa when they were still teenagers, and worked hard together every single day possible. With her skills learned as a young child, she managed money and people better than any CEO/CFO this century has ever even seen. Together they traveled the world, parented 3 kids, (it's funny calling my papa a kid, but he once was, and well maybe still is) built, remodeled, and sold so many homes I couldn't count them, and served as Rotarians for decades. They are amazing people who taught me to work hard, love family, be honest, and always strive for a better life. I love my grandparents, their heritage is an honorable one, I am proud to be their granddaughter.

I love you Grammy. Kiss my Grandpa for me.

9 comments:

Trish said...

Oh, Sherrie, she sounds wonderful! What a fabulous day for her; I'm sure many have celebrated her homecoming. I'm thinking of you! Love you!

hope said...

Sherrie. I wish I could say I know how you are feeling, but the more I hear people say that, the more I believe it is not true. Our feelings are different for each time and circumstance. I am glad this is a happier than sad moment. What a great reunion that is taking place in the heavens right now.

Take care.

Tiffany said...

When my Grandma died I was so happy for her and my Grandpa that they could be together again. I was happy that she lived a wonderful life- one that she and her posterity could be proud of. It sounds like your Grandma is the same type of amazing woman. My thoughts are with you!

Crawford's Corner's said...

Sherrie: I am so sorry to hear this. I am sure they are having a wonderful time being together again...Isn't it wonderful to have so many memories of them that you can share. Hugs!

Brad said...

Sherrie, my condolences. We are thinking of you. You have a great perspective/attitude about it. I'm sure she is equally proud to be your grandma and have you as a granddaughter...I know I would be.

Shawna said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. My Grandpa passed away last month so I'm familiar with the loss. It WAS good to see you guys last week. Maybe we can give you a hair make-over...not that you need one!But you did mention it, and I'd love too! :)

Anonymous said...

Sherrie, I have spent most of the last 11 days sitting at my 85 year old grandma's bedside in ICU (quad accident, long story). Although she is doing a million times better now, I tried to explain to her that it would be ok if she was ready to "move on". There was another LDS family a few doors down and they suggested I talk to her about how my grandpa was waiting for her on the other side. They said maybe that would make it easier for her to let go of this life. I had to laugh because I'm sure the idea of being with him again is what has kept her alive for so long!!!
I'm glad to hear that your grandma & grandpa are together again... and happy!

Amateur Steph said...

Oh Sherrie I'm sorry to hear that. But glad they will be together again. They sound like great people.

Arizona Dunbars said...

What a sweet tribute.