25 October 2008

First of many Halloween parties.

Halloween time is crazy in these parts. So it begins with the kids school Halloween Carnival. Okay, so I didn't get any pictures of the jam packed halls of unrecognizable kids eating way too much candy and being scared to tears by a 15 foot Grim Reaper, but before the festivities I got these.

Doug and Jennie were Sumo's.

Dalton was Harry Potter.

Joseph was a dead shark. Sophia and I were Geisha's.

I've never done homemade Halloween costumes before, and I know for sure that I couldn't follow a pattern, so I just made it up as I went along. We bought Doug's costume (inflation fan and all) a few years ago, but I made all the rest. Sally found the scarf for Daltons costume at DI, and we had everything else to make the perfect Harry. I made Joseph's shark for less than 5 bucks, and the fabric for the geisha's was only $1 a yard (since I didn't know what I was doing, I have tons of leftover fabric... maybe I'll do pillowcases.) Jennie as a sumo was a HIT! Even when we were separated as a family in the crowded elementary halls people would see Sophia and I and say "Oh, you look darling, but have you seen the Sumo dad with the Sumo baby?" Yep, they're mine. I love a party, and it's a good thing cause there are several more before Halloween.

10 comments:

Tammie said...

You did an awsome job, I am totally impressed! You all looked so great!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

OK. That is Hilarious!!! Did she get cold? Kudos for great costumes! So creative and a great way to make use of that baby chub!

Barry's not really wanting to dress up this year, but I showed him your picture and he said if I could get him a suit like Doug's he would. Too clever!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

I just reread that you made all of the other costumes. Very impressive! Everyone looks great! Enjoy all of the parties!

Lindsay said...

I love that Joseph was a dead shark! I love the ideas that kids come up with. You all look faaabulous ... what a fun family. :)

Trish said...

This is the most awesome thing that I have seen in about 30 years. I love this family photo. If it were mine, I would frame it and hang it in the foyer so that everyone could see. Jennie as Sumo Baby is a riot! Love it, Sherrie!!

Heather said...

I love it. The sumo baby is perfect. She has all the rolls in all the right places. I am a huge fan of Halloween and so I don't dress up but my kids love it. Good for you.

Liz and Dave said...

Great Costumes Sherry! you did an awesome job making those cute costumes. What a talented women you are.

***LIZ*** said...

Wow, you guys go all out. I am so impressed, and that is a great family photo, I think you should send this out as your christmas card.

m and m said...

Greatest Halloween Costumes ever! How fun! I remember when I used to be fun...
I put your picture on my background so I can smile every time I close my internet explorer.
Happy Halloween and Happy Birthday Doug!!!
Love, Your sis

P.S. I saw a Halloween card that asked the question, "Do you know the difference between a candy corn and a booger? If you don't then you better not go trick or treating this year!" Good Advice.

The Karrens said...

You guys totally rocked Halloween! LOve, love, love the sumo's, the geishas are pretty awesome, love the h.p. and how in the world did you make a shark? You seriously amaze me with your abilities! Great job!