03 December 2007

I slept with cabbage

So I'm finally feeling free from the painful lump, but I'm still on antibiotics from my recent bout with mastitis. The real cure has been the cabbage. The antibiotics took away the painful body aches, fever, chills, headaches and lethargy, but the hot lump still remained. Julie Jones (my midwife) recommended I put raw cabbage leaves directly on the infection like a breast pad, and voila within 2 days it dissolved. I slept with a stack of leaves in my bed to replace them each time I nursed Jennie. There is nothing creepier than snuggling up to sleep and feeling something cold and stingray like under your pillow. It makes me wonder about all of the healing properties of natural things. Someday I'll understand the secrets available through the word of wisdom, for now, I'm just glad that the green leaves worked.

4 comments:

Elise said...

Oooh... that does sound creepy-- I love the stingray comparison. I'll have to remember this trick if/when I ever have another kiddo.

New picture of baby Jennie soon? I'm sure she's so different!

Brad said...

I used cabbage when my milk came in a few days after Asher was born. It really does work!! Yes, it feels weird and I wore mine 24-7 and just looked extra lumpy, but it was worth it for the relief from the pain!!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

I, too know the joys of sleeping with cabbage! I didn't much like the smell after a while, but it did help with the engorgement. So sorry that you've had to deal with Mastitis! That can be so nasty, from all I've heard!

Amateur Steph said...

Sherrie-
Congratulations on your little one. I had to read back because I didn't even know you were pregnant. Some friend I am.
She is sweet. Two boys and two girls. How perfect. I can't believe Sophie is two, it seems like yesterday she was just a little baby at music class. Congratulations again.