09 May 2010

Moms Bed

Up early on Mothers Day because I've been squished for about 4 hours now.

I LOVE my bed, it's huge, it's soft, it's just the perfect hot for my body, cool for my head and there's enough room to sleep in any bizarre position that feels comfortable for the night.

Problem???

Yes, the problem is this, all of my children LOVE my bed too. Dalton and Joseph have been trained, (and I don't remember having to be too forceful) that they're allowed to snuggle with mom when they've had a bad dream or are feeling sick, but only for 15 minutes or so, they sleepily trudge back to their own beds with the lingering comfort of moms bed having calmed them down just right. Sophia comes in, but she's a really good sleeper, and usually doesn't make it into our room until the sun is up and she just wants some snuggle time. Our rule is that anyone is allowed when the sun is up. Jennie is our problem. The baby of the family almost never sleeps a whole night in her own bed since she learned how to climb out of her crib a few months ago. Now she has a big girl bed and if she goes to sleep peacefully and we forget to lock her door, she bolts into our room, (it's funny because she jogs everywhere she goes and we can hear her jogging through the house to get to our room) and climbs into our bed. I specifically bought really nice mattresses for their new big girl beds with the hopes that their beds would be too comfortable to leave...alas it's the mom comfort that can not be reproduced that keeps them coming back.

So, Jennie is in my bed right now and I'm typing.

Here's the thing, I snuggled in my moms bed right up to the day I got married. Not every night, but when I had a bad dream (which was often enough) I always felt safe in her bed. I don't remember her ever trying to kick me out, or pushing me away or yelling at me to get my own bed, (which is what I feel like doing to Jennie most nights) she just always let me snuggle, get warm and feel the comfort of moms bed.

Thank you mom, I'll be nice to Jennie because of you. Hopefully Doug will carry her back like he does most nights and I'll still be the comforting hero. You're mine.

2 comments:

Shirley Nelson said...

Now that all of our children are grown and have their own families, I visualize all of you as little children. Thank you for bringing back some good memories on this special Mother's Day. We really missed your family and look forward to being with you soon.

Love,
Abuella

The Karrens said...

Sherrie, this is totally what i needed to hear. We seem to be having the exact same problem at our house. Before we moved, we NEVER had kids climbing into our queen bed, but now, it's a pretty regular thing... And there's not really enough room for all of us. I Am going to try really hard to not be grumpy and yell at them to get out... I'll just ask nicely! ;)