15 January 2010

My Joe



I get to sub in Joseph's class on Sunday and I'm thrilled! The lesson is "I am a Child of God" which could be taught every single day of every child's life, but especially for my Joe, it's important.

He's making the transition okay, (it would be totally unrealistic for me to expect a flawless move.) All of our issues so far have been his for sure. I had a great meeting with his school teacher, principal, and elem psychologist, and they're super friendly, and have Joe and his issues on their radar.

We have made a shower chart, with his reward being a rip toy (you know the ones where you put the plastic zipper thing in, and pull it out as fast as you can and let the toy take off) after 15 showers. We've made a homework chart for him, with his reward being a trip to Reeds Dairy for ice cream cones for the whole family, (we're not doing ice cream in the freezer anymore) and I'm willing to sit with him and sharpen all the pencil leads he breaks over and over again till his homework is done. He's pretty excited about me stamping his chart, so I think it'll work.

Joe is the most compassionate of my children with genuine concern when anyone is sad or hurt, and real love and comfort for his sisters when they don't get to do big things like the boys do. He came home from the first day of school and I asked him if he made any new friends, and he confidently proclaimed, "Twenty-Four!", like duh mom! He is a joy to have in our home, and I ache when things are hard for him.

So, I am a Child of God, and as one I'm excited to teach this group of kids that they are too, especially my Joe.

6 comments:

Big MAC said...

I love you Joe! You are awesome. And so is Dalton and Sophia and Jennie. I hope you all are enjoying Idaho. I will come see you as soon as the economy allows me to make a really good bonus.

Tiffany said...

How can you resist his smile! What an adorable boy.

Jenny M said...

Awww. Sweet Joe... Sweet mom!

Sherrie said...

And we just found out that Doug and I are going to permanently teach Joe's class. Yea! I love it when I get exactly what I want!

Trish said...

You are such a wonderful Mom. It was beautiful just to read about Joe through your eyes.

Sherrie said...

Joe just finished his shower chart. Yep, it took 65 days to get that kid to take 15 showers. Seriously. I know for sure he took one that didn't count because he forgot to use shampoo. We've already made another chart, and we'll hopefully decrease the time between showers this time.