27 August 2007

Just Sherrie and Doug

It has been years since Doug and I speant time together without the kids. As newlyweds we promised ourselves that we would never let an anniversary go by without cherishing one another and nurturing our relationship. That promise has gone unfulfilled since 2003 I think, it might actually be longer. This past weekend, however, we were able to entrust our 3 little ones to our friends the Klingonsmiths, and escape for what turned out to be almost a full 24 hours! We had the opportunity to head up to Midway and stay at a lovely cabin, for free, food included. No kids. I enjoyed waking in the night to, not a cry, or a knock, but to my own urge to watch the stars, and breathe the silent air. I love being in the peaceful out doors...just being. I loved talking to Doug during the afternoon and evening events, uninterupted. I loved that on the drive home we were just us, together, with no real stress or responsibility. We picked up our kids, and realized that they hadn't really even missed us, and the truth is that we hadn't really missed them either. I took this for a sign that we should do this more often. I love my children, they make us smile and laugh more than anything else in the world right now, but there is an appropriate balance between always being mom and dad, and just being Sherrie and Doug. We're still learning that appropriate balance, and from now on, I think it'll include more time together.

7 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

I found out the same thing. My first 24 hour period away from Michael I raced to get to him at my Mums, and the first thing he did when he saw me was run away, cheeky little monkey! Good for you to get a little time to yourselves.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Hi, Sherrie!! Oh my goodness!! This is so awesome to see you. Mom told me about seeing Louis the other day and mentioning you all.

Getting time alone happens??? I keep hinting that a trip to a Bed and Breakfast would be an awesome birthday present for me. But, Shawn's mom keeps telling him that they aren't what they are all cracked up to be. I should really tell them that all I want is to have dinner, sleep all night, and have breakfast at 9am, without the kids. Instead of my normal routine of going to bed, telling the kids to go back to bed, getting to sleep at midnight, waking up at 5:30, and eating breakfast at 7am while I catch up on my blogging and email. I guess it isn't horrible, but the idea of getting some rest and time out sounds blissful right now.

Heather said...

Oh, Sherrie, we discovered that along time ago and so we go to a bed-n-breakfast every anniversary. We just celebrated 9 years and we had an awesome time. I am so glad you got to reconnect. It makes the grind stone easier.

Sarah said...

So nice!

Elise said...

I don't think there is anything better than waking up in a cozy bed with your hubby and no kids, phones, computers, lawn mowers, or bills in sight. Ahhh... I'm more relaxed just thinking about it. I love this little glimpse into your lives and I hope you and Doug get a chance to reconnect more often!

Trish said...

I can't hardly contain my excitement to see you on here! Now I MUST start a blog. Of course I would have voted for the name Mayzie if I hadn't used it already (spelling and all, thanks to Theodore Seuss Geisel). But naturally having learned to share in Kindergarten, I am perfectly supportive of your using it, should you decide to. My Mayzie would think that was so cool. I miss the SuperCrawfords. I was just telling someone a story about you the other day (when we snuck out and went to PHX to see a concert and the brakes went out in the Beast). Pump the brakes...

We need to catch up! There is too much to say to post here. Anyway, all my love to you from The Kobialka's. And tell Lew how he has broken my heart by not keeping in touch! Shame, shame.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Yes, Trish, you must start a blog... just like I told you before. It doesn't matter that you write a lot.... what do you think we do all day with these blogs.... READ!! Go for it....

And Sherrie... sorry to use your blog to respond to a friend. I had to take the opportunity. I was thinking about you the other day as well... only my thoughts were focuse on Kool Aid for some reason.