11 November 2008

I lost my girl the other day


We were at the grocery store and I was loading an enormous amount of food onto the conveyor belt. Milk and other cold items first, boxed and canned things next, and then the bananas and eggs so as to pack them perfectly into the bags and then into my trunk. I'm neurotic I know, I get hyper focused on organization all the time. Jennie was buckled in the cart amusing the workers to their total delight when I turned around and Sophia wasn't playing on the bars separating the check stands anymore.

"Sophia" I said without panic, but loud enough to be heard in all directions. No audible response was given, my heart sunk, and I knew that she was gone. "Will you watch my baby" heads nodded and I bolted left, the direction we had just come from. "Brown hair, pink pants, purple shirt" To someone willing to search with me. The spirit told me she was outside, I immediately turned around, ran across the entire storefront to the automatic door and looked out into the parking lot. I saw a grocery store worker next to my van holding the shoulders of my bawling little girl. I ran to her, hair flying, wrapped my arms around her and carried her back into the store to get Jennie, my purse, and our food.

Sophia had wandered off, and the magical doors opened as if to say follow me. Once outside, they wouldn't open again (you'd have to follow the "in" arrow for the doors to automatically open inward). Not knowing what to do, she wandered towards our van. Finding it locked, she just stood there and cried.

While paying, I just held her and tears streamed down my face. I couldn't make eye contact with anyone except to say thank you to the worker who watched Jennie for me. People weren't talking. Music was playing on the overhead speakers, and food was beeping across the scanners, but no one said a word. Jennie even knew to be sober. Another mother with a little girl came up to me and wrapped her arms around us tears also streaming down her face.

I think this all happened in less than 3 minutes.

I loaded the girls into their car seats, loaded our groceries into the van, buckled myself and before I turned the key I had to just sit and sob. I couldn't drive. I couldn't talk. I couldn't handle the idea that one of my children could have been lost to me forever. Everything I experienced Dalton's first bus ride home from school when he was lost to me for over an hour, everything I felt every time Joseph disappeared in a crowd (this has happened with him more often then I can recall), all the love a mother has for her children imploded and exploded on me that very moment. There are no real words to describe how much I love my children.

I am thankful for all of the people who saw a need and responded, she who watched Jennie, he who found Sophia, the cars that didn't run over my little one in the parking lot, the other people who doubtless were searching the entire store for Sophia. I am most grateful for the spirit who told me to turn around, and look outside. He knew where she was, and He knew that I would heed His voice, He likely protected her from harm as well. Thank you.

9 comments:

Amateur Steph said...

Oh! What a horrible feeling. Your post made me cry. I'm glad everything turned out alright!

Burrellblog said...

Wow!!!!What an awful, awful, awful experience. I thankfully have never had to go through that, and hopefully never will. I am so glad that we have that wonderful spirit that watches over us and will guide us in the right direction, in this case back to your little girl. Wow!!!

Jaimie said...

Now I'm bawling! What a scary close call. I'm so glad she was safe and protected and you're all together again. I would say that was "enough."

Tiffany said...

That was beautiful- you wrote your feelings with such beauty that I could feel your feelings right along with you and even shed a tear or two. Thank you so much! It amazes me how much and deeply we can love our children and how scary the world is when the disapear. I lost Turner once in a grocery store and it was one of the most frightening moments of my life!

Liz and Dave said...

Wow! what a blessing that was. I am glad you found her and the spirit promted you. It scares me so bad when my own child is standing out of my sight. I am glad things turned out very good.

Brad said...

Sherrie, you made me cry! That's amazing that all those things came together to equal a perfect ending. The Spirit is a powerful thing! You are incredible.

Elise said...

Oh my goodness, Sherrie! This made me cry! First, you are such a good writer!-- I was right with you the whole time! Second, and more importantly, I am SO glad little Sophia is safe and sound and that you are living in a way that allows you to receive promptings so quickly. I need to be more like you! Love you!!

hope said...

What an incredible experience... hopefully never to happen again. I had a similar experience at the pumpkin patch this year with Skylah. Sure enough, the warm, loving Spirit whispered "look in the petting zoo area". Sure enough. As much as I am grateful for heavenly guidance, I almost wish it would come a minute sooner and say, "She is going to escape... riiiiiggghhht... NOW."

***LIZ*** said...

This is my nightmare. I am so glad everything was okay. I don't know what people do that live with out the spirit to guide them...