08 October 2010

I Wonder...

How long will Dalton let Joe play with his big friends?
How long will he put up with Joe tipping over coffee tables in the middle of a losing game?
How long will he ask me to help him with homework?
How long will he be willing to babysit for $1 an hour?
How long will he be interested in helping me in the kitchen?

How long will Joseph hold my hand in public?
How long will he be willing to distract Jennie with "The Horsey Game" while I'm slipping out the door to Book Club?
How long will he help buckle the girls or give them pegs on his bike?
How long will he come to snuggle next to my bed when he's scared at night?
How long will he believe that he is the strongest 8 year old alive?

How long will Sophia and Jennie play kitten and puppy, carrying on for hours communicating exclusively in yelps and meows?
How long will Sophia beam while showing me her artwork?
How long will she build castles and play dress-up?
How long will she love pink?
How long will she snuggle with me, full bodied, when she hurts?

How long will Jennie look up to Sophia?
How long will she insist on sleeping with her silky blanky?
How long will she let me give her ringlets?
How long will she blame others for everything including who messed her bed/underwear/hair?
How long will she ache to kiss and hug her daddy before he leaves for work?
How long will she color outside the lines?

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Not nearly long enough...

Shirley Nelson said...

I love reading your blog. This one made me cry. You're a very wise mother. Love, Mama

becky ward said...

ok, so i guess i couldn't be in your writing club. (; this is beautifully written. and almost all of these questions pulled at my hearts strings because they reminded me of my little ones. love it!

Liz and Dave said...

Oh I love this post. It is so true you wonder... I wonder on a lot with Jonah too. Makes you sad that you know they have to grow up. You really touched me on this...

Amateur Steph said...

what a beautiful post! Being a mom seems so ephemeral at times!

Kimbur said...

*tears* i love you sherrie!

Arizona Dunbars said...

"We're going to miss this" What more can I say!!

The Randalls said...

I wonder too with my kids, and dread the passings already.

It's so fun to see your blog, and snapshots of all the fun things you're doing in your cute house! I can't believe how Jenny has grown up. She is beautiful! I love that you got a kitten too. I miss you! Oh, and one more thing--your hair looks incredible! Wow, the color and length are amazing. You definitely look like you could be a "sister or something." :)