21 January 2009

New Draper Temple

We went to the Draper Utah Temple open house the other day. We first watched a lovely video that helped explain the purpose and history of Temples. They then bussed us to the actual Temple. We walked through a maze of tents to the main entrance, and were immediately struck with the reverence of the building.

The tour was silent. My kids of course weren't silent. My favorite quote was from Joe, "Why doesn't Jesus have any toys in his house?" Good question I thought. Within the celestial room, and while looking at the enormous chandelier Dalton commented, "It just goes up forever." Sophia liked the sealing room mirrors the best, but that was toward the end of the tour, and she was about to turn the altar into a trampoline. Overall the font was the best part, with the oxen that Jennie kept saying, "mooooo" to. They had missionaries prepared at the exit to answer any questions, and refreshed us with cookies and tiny water bottles.

Doug and I both remembered attending the Las Vegas open house as youth. We waited in line for hours, put on booties, walked through, and were more concerned with our exhaustion than anything else. The Church has seriously streamlined the process, and I'd say we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Here's the sad part, my camera broke. It wasn't till later at home when I plugged it in that I realized that it just has a broken screen. So here's the only picture we have of us on the temple grounds.
>

Joseph spoke in primary this past Sunday, and for his talk drew the temple, so here's his version. Notice Moroni.

Here's his talk... he wrote it, I typed it, he delivered it at the pulpit with ease. I was so proud of my big boy.

Hi, I am Joseph Crawford. My family is going to the new Draper Temple tomorrow. We are all wearing our nicest clothing. I will be nice to my brother and sisters all day. I am practicing good words. I am listening to my Mom and Dad. I am doing all of these things to show respect for the House of the Lord, the new Draper Temple. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

That sounds wonderful! I'm glad you blogged about this. I've been wondering if we could go ... if they would allow Hunter and Abby to go through. I can't wait to see the inside!
Sounds like you guys had a nice time. :)

Teresa said...

Glad you guys enjoyed your experience! We're going in February.
Happy late Bday!!

Katies Korner said...

Sounds so great...we cant wait to go in few weeks with our girls! Hope you dont mind I found your blog! I had fun tonight at the card club! (Katie Collier)

The Karrens said...

I love his picture and talk! I took all three of our kids to the Twin Falls Temple last summer and had a similar experience... very awesome, but tough to keep the kids from destroying everything! Sounds like a great day!
Robin